Tired of watching news anchors, politicians and other apparently prominent public personalities debate useless things to death? Bored of seeing the world the same way everyday?
Consumers! Here is your chance to escape... try our new product. The Digital Reality Decoder.
Follow these rules religiously for a week, and feel better... mind, body and soul.
1. Stop taking mainstream news anchors seriously. Listen only to the headlines.
2. Don't let yourself be swayed by the change in the tone of their voice. Remember, when they say, (in a hushed, sad tone) "A Dalit woman was raped yesterday by four men," or, (in a sunshine tone) "India won gold in the Olympics," they probably don't feel anything, they are only reading what they see on a computer screen.
3. Does it bother you that the whole world seems to be in the process of being "liberated" by the United States army? Does everyone in those countries which fight for Democracy believe in the same goal? Watch Democracy Now! to see the other side. http://www.democracynow.org/
4. Want to know what actually goes on inside Russia? We mean the positive-filtered news, but, news about Russia from inside Russia, in English (funded by the government). You can get a healthy dose of news which the western news channels do not want to talk about. http://rt.com/
5. Watching CNN and RT alternately would bring interesting contradictions to the fore. You might actually be able to relive the Cold War.
7. There are some good shows on the mainstream news channels, those fight shows, and panel discussions, but look for the subtext in what everyone says. In other words, think about all that which they do not discuss and debate and yell, those are, sadly, the real issues.
8. Listen to what Noam Chomsky has to say once in a while. He actually takes time to think. (So does Zizek, and Stiglitz. Read Vandana Shiva. If you like to read, don't forget to read Nietzsche, and Rabindranath Tagore.) http://www.chomsky.info/
10. For entertainment, watch the parliamentary proceedings on Lok Sabha TV. http://loksabhatv.nic.in/